RSS

A hand of bananas

12 Nov

For my dear old (term of endearment) friend, Matty Trusilo, I would like to put something out there that has been discussed since days gone by back in our time in Iraq.

bananas promos

The term “Hand of bananas”.

As quoted by this fine upstanding gentleman, “Bubba, let there be no doubt regarding the existence of Banana Hands. I was just recalling how I nearly pissed myself when you first brought it up at dinner. I think there is a wikipedia entry (hmmm…maybe authored by one [Hoox]) I have never once heard that phrase before or since”.

I have a sneaky suspicion that this Doubting Thomas still does not believe me. Although I accept that the more commonly used collective noun for a number of bananas connected at their stem is in fact a “bunch”, I do not dispute that, but what I am looking for now is the acceptance of the term “hand” as well when referring to the same collective of bananas.

Although I have proved it HERE and HERE I would like to hear from you the general public, friends and family… have YOU ever heard of the term “Hand of bananas”? You don’t have to have used it, just heard it used as reference even just once before now. Personally I think it’s a lot more personable and far more descriptive in that you can actually see a cute little yellow hand with chubby yellow fingers.

Lemme know. The jury is out!

Click comments below to have your say!

About these ads

15 Comments

Posted by on November 12, 2008 in Friends, Interesting, Project

15 responses to “A hand of bananas

1. yellerKat

November 12, 2008 at 12:06 pm

2. spoonz

November 12, 2008 at 12:23 pm

I have used it myself, Back home in Aus the people from the state i live in are called banana benders, based on this alone i will take the liberty of calling my self an expert. (no one else would) A bunch of banana’a is what grows on the tree, when you cut the bunch down and split it up for sale and distribution, you have individual “HANDS”

That’s my theory and i’m sticking to it. ;-)

3. spoonz

November 12, 2008 at 12:31 pm

“The banana fruit grow in hanging clusters, with up to 20 fruit to a tier (called a hand), and 3-20 tiers to a bunch. The total of the hanging clusters is known as a bunch”

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I rest my case.

4. Louisa

November 12, 2008 at 12:48 pm

Personally, I have never heard of the term before but that could just be because when I see them they’re usually refered to as “piesangs”.

It’s a nice term though, I wouldn’t be opposed to using it if I had the opportunity to do so. :-D

5. Matt

November 12, 2008 at 1:33 pm

There is one very large problem with this hypothesis. A [Hoox - name removed to protect the innocent], so far as I am aware, created this phrase. I acknowledge that it should be a phrase in the English language so long as it refers to five bananas attached by a stem. If it is ten bananas attached to two stems it could be “two hands of bananas.” The bottom line is that I can’t find it on Webster’s site nor the Oxford site and can therefore neither confirm nor deny the existence of a “hand of bananas.” Also, it should be noted that when the aforementioned [Hoox] referred to a hand of bananas, it was regarding a man whose hands were particularly large. He said, “The man has banana hands,” if I recall correctly. I have forwarded this link to the other individual that was present for this conversation and I am hoping he can add some clarification to the situation that has caused such consternation.

6. Matt

November 12, 2008 at 1:40 pm

Further, upon closer inspection of the header photo, I note that there are only FOUR bananas in your so called “hand” of bananas. ERRONEOUS!!! ERRONEOUS, I say!!! That my friend, is no “hand” of bananas, unless of course it’s abu’s hand and he was previously employed producing IED’s. ERRONEOUS!

7. Carlos

November 12, 2008 at 1:47 pm

You are crazy. There is no such thing as a hand of bananas. I have picked the bananas and enjoyed them. A banana comes in a bunch. Everyone knows this. You must be from a non-banana region. You are loco…LOCO I say. You are a LOCO GRINGO. You know not what you speak of, stop speaking when you don’t know.

8. Shakra

November 12, 2008 at 1:55 pm

There has never been the phrase banana hand before. This doesn’t make sense. How childish, what are you like eight years old.

9. Nigel

November 12, 2008 at 1:59 pm

Oy mate! hand o’ nanas. Use it all the time.

10. tinkrbell

November 12, 2008 at 2:06 pm

Further proof that there isn’t an end to the internet.

11. HooX

November 12, 2008 at 2:07 pm

Yeller – Thanks man! Thats the spirit! 8)

Spoonz – You too man! Keep up the momentum! 8)

Lou – You let me down bad girl! :(

Matt – For a Yank to be quoting the Oxford English dictionary in itself is too ironic for words. Who was the other person in the conversation? Hmmmm. I do not recall referring to anyone as Banana Hands! Did I really? Eesh! Oh and I think you are being picky on the number of fingers. Are you discriminating against the lesser advantage fruit now huh? :D

Carlos – Maybe we call “bunches” different things in different places? Or not? Aye yes I am a loco gringo. Just by the way I was born and raised in a banana growing region. Natal South Africa. Feel free to look it up.

Shakra – Or should I say Carlos? Spoken like a true 8 year old! If you are going to try to abuse people under a different name at least try and use a different computer or learn how to obtain a new unique IP address. Thanks.

12. HooX

November 12, 2008 at 2:11 pm

Nigel – There you go! Get stuck in matey! What’s the score? Hoox in the lead by far!

tinkrbell – Or should I say Carlos? Or should I say Shakra? You feeling a little schizophrenic today? I will wait for you to consult all your personalities before answering that! 8)

13. Matt

November 12, 2008 at 2:57 pm

I was thinking that J.T. was there albeit I am now questioning myself. I do recall that the other person was laughing as hard as I was think that Hoox had lost the plot with his conceptual Banana Hands. I could actually pull old email to figure it out, but was really hoping that J.T. was there. Hmmmm…

14. another hook

November 14, 2008 at 11:41 am

No good asking family, coz you know what the answer’s going to be. I taught you the expression, fer gawds sakes, having learned same from MY old man !
    Still if you need votes you got mine ! If old Carlos there posing as Tinkerbell (the imagination truly boggles !) can have three, I need to even things up !

15. HooX

November 14, 2008 at 1:11 pm

Matt – I seriously don’t recall who else was there. Sorry. It could have been JT as we were all out of Iraq by then and “taking care of business” in Kuwait.

AH – Did you? Hmmmm. It’s amazing isn’t it? You never remember where you pick up the damndest stuff in life. But thanks for the vote.

Matt – I do believe my point has been made don’t you? After all it wasn’t really a vote as to how many people have heard it versus how many people haven’t. It all just boils down to the fact that I NEVER MADE THIS SHIT UP!!! Hahaha 8) And a big thanks to “Sister Trusilo” (not the nun type sister but brother and sister, sister – get it?) for the amazing support. You rock!